Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Momma and the metal feeder



Momma is too smart.  She's back to her old tricks.  Standing in the hay feeder.  She used to do that in my wood feeder but I never saw her do it in a metal feeder.    That may explain why the cattle didn't want to finish all the hay from the previous bale...  Momma stood on the hay with her muddy manure feet.

She was doing it again this morning, and would go back to doing it when she thought I wasn't paying attention.  Then a second cow started copying Momma.  I took some barb-less wire and strung it through the upright bars around the feeder.  That appears to have finally stopped this behavior.  Hay is too expensive to waste, and at the rate the cattle are eating the hay I may need to get more hay in the Spring.




Daisy usually comes with me when I check on the cattle in the morning.  She often walks on top of the fence.  I've never seen her fall off, which is important as she walks right above the cattle's water trough.



This morning I had success finally with the cow with the injured leg.  Yesterday I put the powdered aspirin inside an apple.  But she spit the apple out and wouldn't eat it.  This morning I tried grain again and she ate all the grain along with the aspirin.   Her leg seems to get better and worse different days in her recovery.  This morning her leg was definitely better.

No comments: