Sunday, December 28, 2014

Flat on my ass

The big hay bale is almost all eaten.  The wind has picked up and the temperature dropping so a few minutes ago I decided to give the cows a bale of hay when I gave one to the calves.  The cows wanted the hay.  It took me a minute to flip the bale over and get it out of the barn. The cows were milling about between me and the feeder.  Beulah, of course, was trying to take a bite out of the bale as I carried it.  Buddy the bull then got the same idea.

Through the 5 inches of snow and around cattle I tried to move while keeping the bale away from Beulah and Buddy. When they tried to take a bite I would push the bale against them if I couldn't move it away.  Buddy got a little excited and pushed back against the bale.  The second time he did so he knocked me down.

I kept the bale on top of me - between me and Buddy in case he charged.  He didn't.  He stood there.  I was able to get up and get the bale into the feeder.  Buddy and the cattle were right there making it hard to get the two twine off the bale.  One strand of twine is still out there mixed in the hay.  I'll probably find it chewed up into a glob tomorrow.

No comments: