Friday, September 05, 2014

Three calves jailbreak

After I finished breakfast this morning I looked out the window and saw three calves in the corral.



By the time I got outside the horses were agitated by these interlopers in their corral.  The white horse started chasing the calves when she saw one drinking from their water trough.  I chased the horse off then closed the gate to the pasture to keep the calves in the corral.  The horses wouldn't leave the corral.

I then got the calves into the south part of the corral. The horses helped chase the calves.

I had one red and two black calves.  More than likely the red calf was Rose.  I was able to get Rose through the gate into the hayfield.  The black calves ran by the gate.

By now the herd came to the corral fence. And mooed.  And mooed.  The calves ignored them and ate and ate the grass.


I tossed some apples over the fence by the house and distracted most of the herd. It took a couple tries before one black calf went through the gate.  The other calf ran by it.

The herd came back to the corral fence.  In the meantime the red calf crawled through the hayfield fence back into the north pasture.     That is how the three calves had made their way into the corral.  

So I had to herd the red calf back through the fence by the way she came.  She didn't want to go back through the fence and I had to run and cut her off this way and that way and again this way and that way before she gave up and went through the fence.  I got some wire and fashioned a fix to keep the wire from stretching apart.  This section of the fence was on my list for rebuilding next year.


The herd caught on about the gate and I could not leave it open slightly and then herd the calf as one or more cattle would try to get into the corral.  Without a second person to handle the gate I had to wait the herd out.

One calf in the hayfield laid down in front of the gate. 



Eventually the herd either drifted away a short distance or laid down to chew their cud.  I shooed away the calf by the gate and finally was able to herd the last calf out of the corral.


In the evening when Daisy went into the hayfield to look for mice a red calf made a fuss, started to go "brawwwk!" and kicked up its hoofs.  Daisy had to run for the fence.  The entire herd then came running to see why the red calf was agitated.


Buster

Buster, the calf named by my Uncle Larry and Aunt Diane, found his voice.  The other day he was by the water trough with a few other cattle.  The rest of the herd was spread out across the hayfield.  Buster then stood facing out to the herd and started to bawl.  And bawl.  And bawl.  I thought he couldn't find his mother and I started a count.  Before I could finish the count Buster finally walked out to the herd and to his mother: Beulah.  Apparently Buster was hungry and he wanted his mother to come over to him so he could drink.

Now that he found his voice Buster uses it often to annoying effect.

No comments: