Friday, September 12, 2014

Canning pears

Earlier this week I picked Bob and Jan's pears from their tree before we had the hard freeze.  Today I helped Jan and Victoria can the pears.  It took all afternoon.

Jan had an errand to run and left Victoria and I to blanch and prepare the pears.  I had no knowledge of canning fruit and Victoria only did it once before with Jan (nectarines).  The pear skin didn't come off easily after blanching so I switched to using a peeler to cut the skin off without blanching.  That was quicker.

Jan had a pressure cooker where we could seal six or seven jars at a time. We canned 20 quart jars of pears.  Some of the jars sealed fairly quickly.  Just now I heard one seal - many hours after being removed from the pressure cooker.



Tonight Daisy was all wound up.  After running around the house like a crazy cat I let her outside.  When I went outside after dark she was running around on the house roof.  I ignored her attention seeking as I knew she could get down by herself.   She did.   After coming inside the house she took over my computer chair while I closed the house door.  And she didn't want to give the chair up.  I tried sharing it but she wanted it all herself.  She ended up getting moved off the chair and is now sulking elsewhere in the house.

No comments: