Wednesday, March 26, 2014

More large hay bales

I got some more hay for my cattle.  I had enough hay till the end of March so I've been looking for more hay this month to last to the end of May.. I estimated I needed a dozen large (1200 lb) bales as the cattle seem to go through these large bales in around five days.

Tim, from whom I bought large bales last year, said he thought he had a dozen bales for me.  His land had lots of standing water and was very muddy so he asked if I could wait till the end of the week.  Perfect, as my land was wet and soft too.

The end of the week came and his land was still muddy and asked if I could wait till Sunday or Monday.  My land was drier but I could wait as I still had hay.

I needed to borrow Dan's trailer to haul the bales and found I had to wait till Tuesday as he was using the trailer through Monday.  That was fine with Tim, but then on Monday Tim called with good and bad news.

The bad news: while he was out of town his daughter sold a bunch of hay and he only has 4 bales left.
The good news: he planned on bringing his trailer to town for work on it and he could deliver the hay for me.

Fifteen minutes later he called to say he actually had six bales, and if I wanted he also had 2 straight alfalfa bales.  No wait, his daughter was waving wildly.  No, he only had one alfalfa bale.  I bought it, even though it was richer than what the cattle need for feed, and also cost me $20 more.

I let Tim know that I don't have a tractor to unload the hay, so if he could load them in a way I could roll them off.

Tim's co-worker arrived with the hay on a tilt trailer.  However, the trailer's bed wouldn't lift to roll the bales off.  We think it was because of a hydraulic leak. The bales were sitting on a flat side and I couldn't roll them.  Tim was in the area and he drove over with a tractor and he pushed the bales off the trailer.

Last year the bales were almost 100% good.  This year it appears four of the bales sat on the ground and the bottom had dirt and rot. I don't think the wetter Winter helped. Yesterday Tammy and I pulled one of the bales to the cattle's feeder and they seem to like it so far.

Here is the fixed gate.  When the truck and trailer drove into the pasture the trailer clipped the post of the right side and broke it off.


The first bale I fed the cattle was the forth one from the left.


After we were done Daisy had to inspect our work.







No comments: