Monday, November 21, 2011

Tool shed wood room

For the first time since dad died I cleaned out the tool shed's wood room. And who knows when dad last cleaned the room out?!  Dad had pieces of wood stored in this room: smaller and larger pieces of tree branches.  And some split wood.

Over the years I have added some wood and used some.  The past year I have made an effort to use more than I add.  I wanted to get to the bottom of the pile and see what all was in there.

I didn't use all the wood, but enough that I could clean the rest of it out and stack it in a small pile according to size.  I found a dozen logs that needed to be split.  Needless to say the logs were very dry and the splitting was only needed to get them into smaller sizes to fit and burn nicely in the wood stove.


Once the wood was out of the room I shoveled out the sawdust and wood chips covering the floor. I filled a large garbage can and a medium sized tote container.  Over the years ants and/or other insects had bored into the wood making the wood holey and leaving sawdust.  One year I could even hear them gnawing on the wood.  The sound was a high squeaking noise similar to when a person slowly tightens a screw into hard dry wood.



Here is the room after I cleaned it.  Apparently the small opening at the far end use to be opened for ventilation.  Someone told me that the tool shed used to be a chicken coop many years ago.  If so, I wonder what was stored in this room?


Once the room was cleaned I discovered the room's outside walls were only supported on a few small pieces of old crumbling concrete.  Before I shoveled out the sawdust etc. this was covered.  Now I had to seal the walls to keep the snow and rodents out.  Fortunately I had odds and ends of scrap metal from which I could chose to cover the openings.


Now my room is sealed and tight.  Well, kind of.  The room is still lacking a door.  A project for another year.

Now that the room is cleaned and sealed I need to put the pile of wood back into it.  And then add similar sized wood currently piled in the pole shed as I need to find another place for the wood stored in one bay of the pole shed in order to park Tammy's van in there.

Always something to do.

No comments: