Sunday, November 27, 2011

New digital TV

Saturday I bought a digital TV.  I've been talking about buying one for years and finally did this year.

For those not in the know... my previous TV (which still works fine) was a Sylvania Superset console TV.  My mother bought it new back in 1983 and gave it to me after I moved to Montana.  I actually had two TVs as the console TV could not get the PBS station without a lot of snow.  So I also had a small 13" TV dad bought in the 1990s that clearly received the PBS station.  Neither of the old TVs could get all of the channels on one TV. Half of the six channels available over the air wouldn't show up clearly on the small TV.  Go figure!

So my solution was two TVs.  Not that it mattered as I don't watch much TV.  When Tammy got here it was confusing to her as to which TV had which channels.  The remotes were a bit confusing too as the small TV had a remote and the signal to the large TV was run through a digital converter and that had a remote.  (Because some of the channels are re-transmitted on translators those signals were analog and not digital and therefore the small TV not using a digital convertor could receive them.  Confusing?  Really?!)

But I finally broke down and bought a new TV.  And I went big.  I bought a 55" Samsung.  Model  UN55D6000.

Right now I have my new TV sitting on top of my console TV.  The new TV replaced the 19" TV of Tammy's that replaced the 13" TV of dad's.


Note: that is the flash of my camera that made the star burst on the screen.

The TV was easy to set up.  I also found more over-the-air channels when I scanned for channels.  Between my two old TVs I got six channels.  This new TV found 14 channels.  Four channels were duplicate channels as the TV pulled in channels from Missoula that were identical to Kalispell's channels.  So I am up to ten unique channels.   None of the channels are HGTV or TLC channels so Tammy still isn't satisfied.

The long term plan is to buy a wall mount and attach my new TV to the wall.  Also in the plan is to get a home theater system.  I had my eye on a Yamaha YHT-495BL system at either Best Buy or Vann's Electronics for $299.99.  But they are sold out in Kalispell and one can't order them online right now at either store.  They cost $100 more at Amazon.com.  The sound from my new TV is decent so there is no rush to get a home theater right now.

The next step is to work on getting cable or dish for more channels.  It was very windy here tonight and that affected many of the digital channels as they would freeze up off-and-on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do your floor model TV work what the condition of it?

Tall Pines said...

Well, I posted this 10 years ago. The floor TV did work back then, but now it is gone. No one wanted an old tube TV so it was taken to the landfill.