Friday, September 02, 2011

Pants, gophers, cattle and weather

Another pair of pants have bit the dust.  I thought they would have lasted until later this Fall but no, I've been rough on them.  This only leaves two pair of pants in what Tammy calls my "homeless collection".

Here is a view of them after I removed the patches I had sewed in them to keep them going.  Keep in mind the patches were added one by one and these holes were acquired over a long period of time.


With the cattle in the south pasture I am again trapping pocket gophers in the hayfield.  I caught two today and my yearly total is now up to 92.


I checked on the cattle to see how they are doing in the south pasture and the answer is fine.  They don't spend all their time down by the river which is good.  This afternoon they were taking their siesta under a pine tree when I checked on them.  I counted all but the two skunk-back heifers.  I walked all around the pasture especially checking down near the river. No sign of them.  I went back to the herd and recounted, then noticed the two missing heifers laying over in the tall grass under another tree.

One of these skunk-back heifers has a mind of her own and doesn't back down from any of the larger cattle. When they were in the hayfield I saw one fight with a larger heifer and the little skunk-back would not back down even when the larger animal pushed her around the field.  Since they were off under another tree I imagine another one of the cattle pushed her away from the herd for the time being.  That is sometimes a problem with heifers - those females can hold a grudge.


Our weather has turned colder.  A cold front came through Wednesday and brought rain, thunder and lightning.  We had a good amount of rain and I think the rain may have washed out my herbicide weed spraying I had done before the rain came.  I worked on organizing my "treasure" pile in the toolshed.  A few times the air turned pink before I heard the lighting sound.  The power went out for a while.

Thursday morning saw snow up high in the mountains including several inches at Logan Pass in Glacier Park.  Tonight the forecast is warning of possible frost in low lying areas as the temperature may get down to freezing.

I was going to go on a long hike today but the cool and windy forecast caused us to change our route and day of hiking to Saturday.

The weather forecasters say it will warm up again.  I hope so.  This has been a short and cool Summer and I'm not ready for it to be Fall.

No comments: