Saturday, September 17, 2011

Alaskan cruise: day 1

Saturday, September 17, Tammy and I departed on the Alaskan cruise that Tammy had earned for herself when she worked for Homemade Gourmet.  Me... I had to pay my own way.

Tammy had never ridden in a limousine so I surprised her with my Uncle Curt and Aunt Cathy's help.  Setting a time for the limo ride was harder than you'd think.  About a month before the cruise I needed to know the time we were going to meet another couple (Gary and Stacy) at the ferry dock to start the cruise.  Vacation planning is not what I am known for, and Tammy wouldn't help me by giving me a time. Instead she gave me a hard time about doing some planning for the vacation. Eventually I picked a time.

Tammy was excited to go on the cruise and on the morning of the cruise she asked me if I was excited about the cruise as I was so calm. Little did she know that I had arranged for a limo to arrive shortly.

A half hour before my limo was to arrive, the other couple texted Tammy that they were traveling from their hotel to the ship in a limo.  Oh joy.

Cathy had kept the house's window blinds mostly closed so Tammy wouldn't see the limo drive up.  Once the limo arrived Curt told Tammy we would be taking the luggage out the front door instead of going through the garage to their SUV.  Tammy opened the door and stepped outside to hold the door for us.  She hadn't noticed the long white stretch limo.  We waited for her to see the limo and finally she looked that way and saw the limo.  Then she went crazy with excitement.

After we loaded our luggage into the limo and took photos of us with the limo I proposed to her and she said yes.

Tammy was over the moon with excitement.


Stacy and Gary were already at the ferry dock and waiting for us when we arrived. This was the first time I had met them.  Once we boarded the ship the first order of business was to switch rooms.  Tammy and Stacy had earned the cruise and were booked into the same room.  Gary and I booked another room.  There wasn't going to be any 'Brokeback Iceberg" for this guy so we switched rooms so Tammy and I shared a room.


We were on the Golden Princess ship.  I found that this ship was identical to the Star Princess ship I had taken to Alaska back in 2008.  Still, it took some time for me to get oriented on the ship.






The view of Seattle before we got under way.

No comments: