Monday, September 12, 2011

Cutting a neighbor's tree

Last Thursday I cut up a neighbor's tree.  This is the neighbor who had a beaver problem last year until they were trapped and removed.  The tree was dead and the top part of the tree had broken off last year.   Since she had no plans for the wood I told her I would cut down the trunk that remained and take the wood.  The weather was wet this Spring so this was really the first chance I had to get in there to remove the tree.

I had to be careful when cutting the trunk down.  I had to miss the road, another neighbor's mailbox, the fence, and another tree.  As you can see the tree fell right where I wanted it to.  I cut the trunk so it would fall where I wanted but the trunk wanted to sit upright and perhaps lean back towards the road and mailbox.  So I gave it a little push and over it fell.  I got a nice amount of firewood from the tree.  Now to split it.

On the left side of the photo is the part of the trunk that had broken off last year.


I also hauled off most of the branches the beavers had used to create one of their dams last year.  They were stacked next to the creek.


When moving around the ditch to cut the tree down I must brushed against a large houndstongue weed. Both of my pants legs were thickly covered with the Velcro-like seeds. It took a while to pull each seed off my pants.

No comments: