Friday, September 23, 2011

Alaskan cruise: Day 7 - Downtown Victoria

The Empress Hotel.




Curt told me the name of the leaning tree, but I forgot it.




Pedestrian street.


On the pedestrian street we saw a handful of vendors.  While we sat and rested, this fellow who sold leather belts, packed up his supplies and tent (just like the white tent on the right side of the photo).  He put everything into these boxes and bags.  He then loaded them into his cart, attached the cart to his bicycle, then headed for home.


Manscape spa?  No thanks.


This is a men's bathroom on a city street corner.  There is only a urinal inside.


The entrance to Chinatown.  There is not a whole lot of interesting stores on this street.  The entrance and some nearby statues were more interesting.  The Red Dragon photo I took when I visited Victoria in 2008.  I tried to take a similar photo this year but either a wino was loitering near the statue and sneakily filling a can with liquor from a bottle in his backpack, or later a woman was videotaping her kids climbing on the statue.


Street art for money.  On another street I saw three young men sitting and laying on the sidewalk with a homemade cardboard sign saying "Need money for weed".  I didn't get their photo as I didn't want to be obliged them to give them money.


This character was sleeping.  I love his beard.


In 2008 I was fooled by this "statue".  At the time I muttered about Victoria appropriating a symbol of the American West - a cowgirl - for a statue when they should instead have had a sailor statue or something similar.  Then the statue moved.  This was street art and this is how she made money.


I had told Tammy the story of the cowgirl and how I was fooled.  This year as we walked by the "statue" in the following photos Tammy asked me if this was a statue or a person like the 'cowgirl'.  I looked as I walked by, and seeing no strings on the guitar, came to the conclusion this was a statue.  Tammy kept an eye on the statue and saw that it moved from a standing position to this sitting position.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I should have known better.  And what does having or not having strings on a guitar have to do with it being a statue?  Duh.

People wanted to contribute but didn't know where to put the money. They would walk up to him and ask him.  He would slightly motion to the open guitar hole with a couple fingers.



On our harbor walk back to the ship Tammy and I passed this cute little car.

No comments: