Sunday, September 18, 2011

Alaskan cruise: Day 2

Rockin' and rollin'!  That is how day 1 ended and day 2 started. The weather was cold, rainy and windy, and the waves were breaking.  The area between Vancouver Island and the islands of SE Alaska is open sea with lots of waves.

In the morning when I got up to use the bathroom I walked up, then down, then up the short distance between the bed and bathroom.  The grab bars inside the bathroom were not just for old people to use.  I thought about shaving and showering but my stomach was feeling the waves.  I didn't have anywhere I had to be so I went back to bed.  I felt better laying down.

Tammy turned on the TV and we watched the channel that showed the view in front of the ship.  We could see the waves coming.  Count to five, then we felt the wave.  After a bit of this I asked Tammy to change the channel as seeing the waves wasn't doing me any good.

Before our cruise started my Aunt Cathy had given Tammy some Dramamine tablets for her to use in case she needed them.  I ended up being the person who took a Dramamine tablet.

The ship's captain came on the speakers and in his thick Italian accent announced we would have the bad waves until 2 pm. After 2 pm we would be in the protected waters of the inland passage of the Alaskan islands.  While the TV had listed the waves as "moderate" at 4.5 to 6.75 ft, the captain said the waves were 15 to 20 ft. That's more like it. The captain also pronounced "swells" as "schwells".

So Tammy and I stayed in bed until almost 2 pm.  Later we learned that quite a few other people did the same thing.

Later we heard stories from people who had ventured out and about during the rough seas.  Stacy attended a shopping presentation and said the lecturer gripped the lectern to stay upright, and Stacy could hear people puking in back of the room.

Apparently one fellow out on deck was slammed against a wall when a bad wave hit and his camera ended up going overboard.  He was white as a ghost when he got inside an elevator and said "I thought I was going to f'ing die!".   The hot tubs had their water roll up and down and out.  Tammy and I could hear dishes crashing out in the hallway.   We also talked with two people on another cruise ship and they said two people on their ship fell and broke their hips during the rough seas.

A crazy time!

It was nice that the seas calmed by afternoon as this night was one of two formal nights on the ship.  I even put on a suit.  This was the first time Tammy had ever seen me in a suit.  Apparently I look good in suit.  Tammy doesn't care to have her picture taken but I talked her into posing with me for three of the ship's photographers.  We ended up buying one of the photos to commemorate our cruise.

After a dinner in one of the restaurants, Tammy and I attended one of the ship's shows: Stardust.

No comments: