Saturday, December 05, 2009

Sharpened stakes

Our weather is still well below freezing.  The ground is getting even harder.  Today the one pocket gopher left to trap again filled the trap with dirt. I decided to move the trap up his tunnel a bit to confuse the gopher.  When I dug the ground I had to really work and chip away at the frozen ground.  I hope I get this gopher soon as the weather forecast this weekend and next week has an Arctic front coming with snow and then sub-zero temperatures and wind with wickedly cold wind chills.   North Dakota and Minnesota type of wind chills.

On my to-do list before Winter was to mark the locations of the tree stumps in the pasture so I can easily find them for later digging and burning.  Quite a number of them are less than a foot above ground and most of the year the grass hides them. I cut the ends of almost 20 boards to sharpen them in order to make it easier to drive them into the ground.  However, by the time I got the boards sharpened the weather changed and the ground is now too hard to pound the posts into it. I guess this is now an early Spring project.


No comments: