Tuesday, December 22, 2009

From no snow to snow

It appears we escaped the snow. For a number of days the weather forecasters have been predicting snow for the Valley.  But thanks to global warming (thank you!  thank you!) our temperatures have been a few degrees above our normal high of 30 F which was enough to stay above freezing and keep the rain as rain and not as snow.   Hurray!  Otherwise, as it had rained and rained most of several days, I'd still be out there shoveling snow.

That's not to say I won't escape snow for Christmas.  I am going to Minnesota for the Christmas and New Years holidays to be with Tammy.  The weather forecast is for a big winter storm in Minnesota when I am traveling.  ...great.   In fact, as soon as I cross the mountains I will be into snow and Winter with a capital W.  I guess global warming isn't global.

The good news is I will be taking the train and not be driving.  The bad news is that the Red Wing, Minnesota train station is 50 miles from Rochester.   Tammy insists she will be at the train station to get me.  That isn't what I am worried about.  I am worried about her driving through snow and freezing rain on the narrow and hilly Minnesota roads.

Oh well.  Should be an interesting Christmas.  I leave Montana December 24 and arrive in Red Wing on Christmas Day.  So I will spend 25 hours and Christmas Eve on Amtrak.  I wonder if Santa will find me on the train?  I wonder if the Minnesota weather will be so bad that I end up spending Christmas Day in the little Red Wing train station?

Stay tuned.

No comments: