Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Preparing to leave

Contrary to the weather forecaster's predictions no snow ever fell in the Valley.  Good.  After sundown the clouds all left and the stars are shining bright and cold.  Global warming has left again as we will be well below our normal temperatures yet again.

The past couple of days when it had warmed up I checked my two pocket gopher traps.  One trap was cover in dirt both days.  That gopher gets out of the tunnel and then covers the opening at the back of the trap.  The gopher doesn't fill the inside of the trap or go inside.  It is frustrating as I want to catch it and end my season of trapping.  And to get my 250th pocket gopher.   My only hope is to find a gopher in my trap when I return.

The deer are still around as I see some tracks around the pastures in the snow that had not melted.

The river level is low but with the warmer weather some of the iced up areas melted.

I lit the pilot light and ran my natural gas furnace today for the first time this season as I need to have it running when I am gone. It seems to be working.  I tell ya... natural gas heat can't compare to the heat from a wood stove.  It just doesn't feel warm.

I also baked an apple pie today in between my packing for the trip.  The apples from my trees are showing their age and I wasn't sure they all would last until I got back.  I decided to see if the pie would keep in my refrigerator.   What about putting my pie in the freezer?  Sorry.  It is full already.  I'll take deer meat over apple pies any day.

The Minnesota weather forecast is still bad.   Spending Christmas Day in a train station is looking more likely.
Winter Storm Warning in effect from 9 PM Wednesday to 6 am CST Saturday.
Thursday Night
Freezing rain...snow and sleet. Brisk. Snow accumulation of 3 to 6 inches. Ice accumulation around one quarter of an inch. Nearly steady temperatures around 30. East winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Christmas Day
Areas of freezing drizzle in the morning. Snow. Light snow accumulation possible. Highs around 30. East winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of measurable precipitation 100 percent.

The weather forecast for Montana?  Cold, but sunny and dry.

No comments: