Friday, June 19, 2009

Rain, cattle, camera

It rained today! Hurray! It took a completely overcast sky for the rain to reach me as thunderstorms don't seem to be able to reach my part of the Valley.

The rain came at lunch time. I was working on burning tree stumps when it began to rain lightly. I didn't believe the rain would last and I continued with my burning. But the rain kept coming. Then a little harder. I kept on adding wood to the fire. Again the rain increased. By now I was getting soaked so gathered up my tools and wheelbarrow and headed home.

I then rode my bicycle to get my mail and the rain quit. I knew it!!! But after a bit it started up again lightly and continued much of the afternoon. For all that time we only got .15 inch of moisture. But I'll take it as it is better than nothing.

In the evening when I checked my pocket gopher traps I could see dry dirt mounds of new activity. And when I dug a new hole for a trap I found the wet dirt was only "skin deep".

I opened the gate to the middle pasture last night and moved the cattle's salt from the south to middle pasture. In the morning I seen some of the cattle were in middle pasture at the salt but they moved on back to the south pasture by the time I went out to the pasture. They spent all day in the south pasture out of sight. After checking the gopher traps I checked and saw some cattle on the island. With all the trees on the island I could not see them all but I hope they are alright. They should be unless some did something stupid and fell in the river. Two sides of the island have shallow banks and two sides have drop off banks. One of those banks is fenced and the long side with the main current is not.

With all the tall green lush grass in the south pasture the cattle have to go exploring.

The Canon repair center returned my Canon Powershot A1000 IS camera unrepaired. Initially they left me a phone mail message and claimed the camera's failure to open and close the lens was due to liquid damage. What?! I called them back and they changed their claim too much sand damage and they claimed it was not covered by their warranty. Sand damage?! I only had the camera two months and was nowhere near a beach or sand. They said they took photos of the camera and sand and would send them with the camera.

The photos show the camera with the cover off but beyond that showed nothing. I didn't see sand in the photos. It all seems kind of suspicious to me. Liquid, then sand.... anything to get out of their warranty. I only had the camera with me at the ranch and when hiking. While I take lots of photos and turn the camera on and off often their design should hold up to outdoor use. It appears Canon has a poor design for their lens opening and closing and I wouldn't recommend the camera for anyone who wants to take many outdoor photos.

The Fed Ex driver who delivered the camera to me today had pastured his cow/calf cattle with me years ago one time in the Fall. He no longer has cattle as it was too much of a hassle for him to keep them over winter.

No comments: