Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cattle playing tricks on me

Here are a few stories from when the cattle were in the corral. In between feedings the cattle would play tricks on me.

The first was opening the loading corral gate I had made last year. I was so proud of the latch I designed. Boy, did I pat myself on my back too soon!


Here is what I found several times last week. The gate was open. One of the heifers figured out how to work the latch and would open the gate. So much for my grand design! I have the old snow fence blocking the gate until my loading corral rebuild is done so the cattle couldn't get through the gate. Yet several days in a row I found the gate open.

I never did figure who was doing this. I image she was standing around snickering each time I found the opened gate. Well, I finally put a stop to this as I got a wire and added it as an extra latch. The cattle didn't figure out how to unhook this new addition.




The other game the cattle played on me was to remove the stack of wood I put under the cattle feeder by the barn to support the broken board. The cattle would spread the boards all around the corral. Once the cattle learned how to remove the boards they would do this at least once a day.

In the past I also tossed some large rocks under the feeder to get the rocks out of the way. I guess the cattle wanted to play soccer as I kept finding the rocks around the corral even though I kept putting them back under the feeder.

*sigh* Kids!



No comments: