Saturday, September 20, 2008

There is no place like home

After all my traveling the past month it felt odd sleeping in my own bed. But I can sleep most anywhere and quickly got used to it and fell asleep to sleep long and hard.

The deer have been keeping my garden area grazed while I was away. They seem to be also eating all the apples that have fallen off the apple trees.

While my garden corn is not large due to my late planting, many of the ears of corn are edible and that was part of my supper last night. After being spoiled with meals by the cruise ship and my uncles and aunts, I am back to my normal diet.

I checked my pocket gopher traps and had caught two of them. That makes 101 pocket gophers trapped for the year. Woo hoo! Triple digits. One gopher was dead a long time and I brought the trap home to wash and clean to get rid of the smell. So far this is not working.

I also found one of my regular gopher traps had been triggered but no gopher. The trap had been set under the hay shed wall and was now outside it so I may have caught a gopher only to have him escape or get eaten. There was some grass in the trap so I suspect he was able to slip free of the trap with some effort.

We set a record high temperature yesterday when it reached 85 F. I am enjoying the weather as the forecast is for colder and wetter weather. We do need the moisture as it is brown and dry.

Last night I talked with Joyce and she said a teenager who hunts on their land saw a black bear on her property while the teenager was scouting in prep for hunting season. The bear stood up before leaving and scared the kid. The kid is tall and the bear was taller than him. A few days after that Joyce's daughter saw a mountain lion pass through her property. The daughter lives next to Joyce. Lots of wildlife out and about. Maybe my deer problem is not so bad after all.

No comments: