Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September Triva

Monday night I went down to The Landing Bar for trivia night. I surprised Darrel and Mona when I showed up. Al was there and Marv came later. Jeff and Donna are in Las Vegas.

The SOL team had won several trivia contests the previous few weeks and we used most of the drink tickets this evening. Even I partook in a couple drinks. (Mike's Hard Lemonade)

Everyone from our team was contributing answers in both contests. In the second contest we got 17 questions correct and we were tied for first place with another team but lost the tie breaker when we guessed that a goose can fly 100 ft per second. The other team got the answer exactly right as they said geese travel 88 ft per second.

In the first contest we only got 14 questions correct. It looked as though we would do good but then blew many of the last 5 questions.

For the quarters questions it seemed as if only two people on different teams won. I know one guy won four times. A table with some drunk guys wanted to guess but they would shout out their answer out of turn or before Darrel would get to them with the quarters bucket. Ed, the host, was getting ticked off and let them know it. Eventually he mentioned to them if they didn't act better he would say they had the wrong answer even if they guessed correct. That group didn't stay around for the second contest. That was good and bad as they made many wrong guesses and probably added five bucks to the bucket.

After trivia was over the bar had karaoke. Some good singers and some mediocre singers. But they had a steady stream of singers even if the crowd was smaller as a number of people left after trivia was over. The pool tables were busy all night.

Darrel did pretty good with his car racing this summer. He came in second place for the season. He plans to turn pro next year.

Today I had to hang my clothes on the clothesline to air them out to get rid of much of the cigarette smoke from the bar. Jogging home from the bar I am either showing my age, my out-of-condition shape, or the effects of the smoke - or all three - as I had to slow down to a walk a couple times to catch my breath.

No comments: