Sunday, September 21, 2008

Limo rides

I forgot to mention that when Gary and I got lost walking around my uncle's place the night before our Alaskan cruise started we ended up walking 10.5 miles. If we hadn't gotten lost we would have only walked about 6 miles.

My Uncle Curt arranged to have Gary and I ride in a limo from his place to the cruise ship. The limo company upgraded our ride from a town car to a stretch limo. Hoo boy! Was that a long car! In order to talk with our driver, Paris, I had to scoot up to the front. I think the car could seat eight to ten people. I have photos but as I am using one of the library's computers currently I have no way to upload photos of the car.

After the cruise Paris picked me up in a town car limo. Gary went to visit his relatives. The town car was nice as I was able to chat with Paris during our 45 minute ride to Curt's house.

Coming off the cruise ship I had a bit of a mix-up. I was five minutes late because everyone's disembarkation from the cruise ship was running five to ten minutes late.

While Curt had tied large and pretty gold bows to my black and dark blue luggage bags to make my luggage stand out from all the others, the longshoreman had placed the bags in a way that I couldn't see the bows on my bags. I walked around and around the three rows where the "aqua" tagged luggage was lined up. On the third look-see I found one of my bags, then the other. I was starting to think my luggage wasn't there. We were suppose to have our luggage in the hall to be picked up by 10 pm, but that was the time I had returned to the ship. At 1 am when Gary and I went to bed our luggage was still in the hall. Our luggage was gone by 6:30 am when we awoke.

Paris had told me most likely someone else would be there to meet me. At the yellow canopy on the south side - my side - was a line of taxis and one black town car. I asked the driver, a middle eastern man with a thick accent, if he was the replacement driver for Paris and he said yes. He loaded my luggage into the car and I got in. As he started to pull out he asked if I was going to the airport.

No! I am going to Tacoma! I again asked if he was the driver for Paris and he said yes. I got out the card Paris gave me with his company name and the driver said this was not him. I got out and started to walk under the canopy when Paris came walking up. He had parked on the north side of the canopy.

When I told Paris what had happened he was not happy. The taxi and limo drivers operate under strict rules at the dock and that other limo driver violated them. Paris went over and talked with that driver and a dock official came over. As we drove off the other limo was gone.

No comments: