Thursday, September 25, 2008

First day back

On my first day back in North Dakota I slept until 10 am. I was tired.

When I was gone mom's full death certificate arrived. Reading it over I found the medical examiner, Robert Durkin, had wrote for the "pregnant?" line that mom was not pregnant, but that she had been pregnant 43 days to 1 year before. What?! Mom was 73 years old and not pregnant. The medical examiner was not listed in the phone book but apparently works for Trinity Hospital. I called the hospital and they transferred me to his office. The receptionist said they would send an amended certificate with the correction to the State. I should hope so.

To ensure mom's home and car insurance remains valid I saw her insurance agent to give notice of mom's death and that I was personal representative. This is to ensure her insurance policies remain valid until the properties are transferred under probate.

Then my brother and I visited two of the three local gravestone and monument companies. While I hadn't expected to make a decision then on a gravestone, I found the choices were more than I expected.
  • size
  • color
  • concrete border or not?
  • include middle name?
  • image etched, and if so which image?
  • stonewashed border?
I expected the granite markers to be expensive and they are. It appears the cost will be well over a thousand dollars.

I do want to have a vase holder to hold flowers. I think I want the holder to be part of the gravestone and not separate even though this is more expensive.

With no children, and one chance to get the gravestone right, I want to get it right now as I currently don't have family to fix the gravestone many years from now if it needs repair or fixing. So a concrete border around the granite marker is out as concrete does not last. I plan on going out to the cemetery with a measuring tape to look at other gravestones to get a better idea of size and styles.

I also visited Bob and Donna briefly as they were outside in the nice weather. Bob had been in the hospital over the past weekend as he couldn't wake up because of a seizure. Bob, even in his weakened and confused state, remembered I was going on a cruise to Alaska and wanted to know about my trip.

No comments: