Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Trivia night loss

Monday night I attended trivia night. I missed the entire first trivia contest as I was late leaving mom at Manor Care. I wanted to talk with a nurse about mom's new back/side pain before I left and this took a bit of time.

Then I had trouble starting my brother's pickup. In the cold weather (around zero F) it starts hard. Earlier my brother couldn't get a parking spot near the electrical outlets so the pickup's block heater wasn't plugged in. When I couldn't get the pickup started I had to get my brother and he started it.

The answers to the first trivia contest were read shortly after I arrived. Rod and Alan had joined the same team as last week and they answered 18 out of 20 correct. That was only good for second place as the winning team got 19 correct.

The second contest went well and we again ended up with 18 correct. This was good for a first place tie with two other teams. One of the three teams had won the first contest so we answered a sudden death question with one other team.

"What year did Ford Motors stop making the Edsel?"

Our team and the other team both answered: 1960.

Wrong. Try again.

Rod mentioned 1959 and I mentioned 1961. The guy writing our answer down went with my answer. I thought there were three years of the car and thought 1959 must have been the first year as 1960 wasn't the correct answer for the last year.

Ed said both teams were wrong again and both were equally distant from the correct answer. This time we guessed 1959 and won. Or so we thought. We had the $20 drink certificate in our hands when Ed announced he had made a mistake and the other team actually had won.

The second guess when we answered 1961, the other team had answered 1958. 1958 is closer to 1959 by one year than 1961. Ed apparently is not good at math.

We gave up our $20 certificate to the other team. I felt bad as I was the person who suggested 1961.

I checked the Wikipedia entry for the Ford Edsel and learned Ford had stopped making the Edsel in November 1959. They did have three model years: 1958, 1959, and 1960. It is just that the model years run from the Fall of one year to the next Fall and the model year does not follow a calendar of December 31.

It was frustrating to have 18 correct for each contest and still come up losers.

The bar held karaoke after the trivia contests were over. The Captain was not there to sing this night but plenty of other people were. Quite a few people sang and half or more of them were women. All these people didn't mean that more people were good and could actually sing. A few songs I couldn't even recognize.

I had driven to the trivia contest so I didn't have the opportunity to walk/run home and partially air the bar's cigarette smoke out of my clothes. *sigh*

No comments: