Friday, February 22, 2008

3 vehicles, 3 problems

My mother and brother have three vehicles and all have problems now. The pickup with the transmission problem still is in that condition as my brother parked it for now planning to deal with it later. A few nights ago his other pickup's heater quit again. We made it home without fogging up the pickup's windshield. It turns out the problem was a faulty ignition switch. I don't know how the ignition switch affects the heater, but it does.

The repair shop had to order a new ignition switch and it was suppose to arrive today. However the delivery truck broke down in eastern North Dakota and the part will not arrive until Monday. Since the ignition switch does work - even if it is touchy - my brother decided to take the pickup home for the weekend. In hindsight this was a good idea.

I accompanied him in the car - the third vehicle. During the drive to the repair shop the car developed a "thumping" so my brother pulled off the road into a parking lot. I got out and checked the tires. No flat tires. My brother drove the car in the parking lot and there was no sight or sound of any problem.

Down the road we went. When we exceeded 25 mph the "thumping" returned.

At the repair shop the car had a smell. I checked the engine and that was not the source. The mechanics had no suggestions without checking the car. It was minutes from closing time so we decided to take the car home and bring it back Monday morning.

My bother took off in his pickup and when I went to drive the car home the rear tires spun on the icy ground. The car wouldn't move forward or backward. Huh?

The shop's owner saw through the window and came outside. The quick determination was that the car's brakes had locked. I left the car at the shop. If the car had to break down that was the best spot for it to happen.

So until Monday we only have the pickup with the bad ignition.

What else will go wrong? Oh yeah, the flu is running around the rehab facility. Last week the upper floor was closed to visitors due to the flu. It appears most of the workers have gotten the flu along with a number of residents. Mom heard most of the cafeteria employees were out with the flu today. Mom's roommate might have the flu now as she has diarrhea and is now vomiting today. Mom had not had the flu yet. I hope she doesn't get it as she is starting to improve after a number of other trials and tribulations this past month.

No comments: