Thursday, February 07, 2008

Trivia and karaoke

Monday I attended trivia night again after missing last week's event due to the snow storm.

I arrived late to trivia as I had come from visiting mom at Manor Care. Over half the questions from the first contest had been asked by the time I arrived.

Rod and Alan were there, and since neither Austin or I were there when the contest started they had joined another team. This team is a good team and is one of the higher scoring teams. I pulled up another chair and squeezed to a corner of the table next to Alan.

Before I arrived Rod had won a "Jim Bean" t-shirt for answering a "quarters" question correctly. The correct answer was "Brussels sprouts". I don't know what the question was.

In the first contest our team had 16 correct, good for third place. The team of lawyers and judges won with 19 correct. For the second contest our team got 15 correct and tied with the lawyers for first place.

Since a team can only win one contest each night, by default our team won the second contest's $20 drink certificate. I credit the team we joined for the bulk of our correct answers as Rod and I only contributed a few correct answers. For example, Rod was the only member of our team who knew that a flounder is a fish whose eyes migrate to one side of its head. I knew that it was "in his heart" that Buddy Holly was talking about where it was raining. Our team spent much of the $20 on drinks after the contests were over as we stayed and socialized while karaoke was performed.

Ed, our trivia host, sang a couple karaoke songs. The old man, who sang the previous time I attended trivia night, sang a few "old style" songs again. I learned his nickname is "The Captain". He used to operate a tugboat as his job. Where that was I don't know as I would be surprised to find any tugboats in North Dakota.

I walked (ran) home from the bar. I had no hat or gloves with me and the temperature was near zero F, but I survived. I walked (ran) because I wanted to air my clothes to get rid of the cigarette smoke smell on them, but they still smelled when I got home.

No comments: