Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Company and cattle

My friend from Minnesota, Brian, arrived tonight for a visit. He had visited for 4 days out of a week of vacation last year. This year he has two weeks of vacation. He is still trying to figure out what he plans to see and do, here and elsewhere in the NW US. So if my blogging is less in the next days, that is the reason why, I am out sightseeing.

Today I walked to the river to check on the cattle as they were mooing and mooing and it sounded like they were on the other side of the river. When I reached the river I no longer could hear the cattle but I did I hear, then seen, two teenage boys and a teenage girl in the river. I asked one of the teenage boys if he had seen cattle earlier.

"Yes."

"Were the cattle on the other side of the river?"

"On the other side.""

What color were the cattle? Black or red?
"

"Black."

"Did you see them cross the river back to this side?"

"Yes."

I thanked them and wished them well on the rest of their float trip down the river and then I went over to count the cattle taking a siesta in the shade along my fence. 22 cattle. I could see some cattle were in the small shed at the east end of the pasture. I didn't walk over to count them, I trusted they were all back. I think the earlier mooing was because of the strangers in the river. That unnerves the cattle.

The kids didn't have a raft or inner tube. They were trying to swim/float the river with their bodies. The problem is the river is getting shallow in a number of locations and they had to do some walking over the shallow parts.

I checked my gopher traps and found I had caught one. The first one caught in many days. With this terrible heat I had thought the gophers went underground into hibernation early this year.

I also had caught a field mouse in a leg hold trap. This was the same trap I had caught a bird with red and brown feathers on the back of its head (woodpecker?) a few days earlier. What this bird was doing in a gopher hole is beyond me! The bird had one leg caught and was still full of energy. It was a challenge to open the trap and release the bird without getting pecked. I was able to do so and the bird flew off to a nearby pine tree.

And yes, another hot mid 90 degree day.

3 comments:

Ruby said...

Good morning Montana!

Thank you for all the trail suggestions. And the warning about the buffalo refuge. I seem to recall reading there was a tug of war going on over there.Some other blog had a story or two about it.Of all the blogs,I am most fond of yours. I tried to start my own,I don't know where you find time to write every day!
So here's my dumb question of the day for you.....we have not booked our room yet.I read about a place called the Circle R in East Glacier. They appear to have weekly rates. I was considering a night or 2 at Apgar in West Glacier also,so we could experience the stillness (or not) of the park when it is closed.Any thoughts on these? I have scoured the internet and tourbooks looking for alternatives to the pricey lodges,as we plan to be out most of the time,taking it all in.Seems a waste of money for a place to keep your luggage and sleep in!
I looked at a place in Polebridge that was within the budget,but alas,an outhouse in grizzly country is too much for me!Besides,aren't there rattlesnakes out there,too?

So we're skipping the long drive to Moiese,maybe we'll take a boat tour on St Mary's I think you said.We don't have passports,so we'll have to stay on this side,but I am confident we will have the time of our lives in Glacier.
Pinch me,I still can't believe I'm going to see it with my own eyes,feet and camera!

You and Brian have a great time and tell Tbone "hello" for me!Thanks again,

Ruby

Tall Pines said...

Ruby,

Sorry about the late reply - been busy.

No rattlesnakes in NW Montana that I know of. Rattlesnakes are mainly in eastern MT. Polebridge is known for bears and not rattlesnakes.

I took photos of the 'Merc' when I was in Polebridge, but forgot to take photos of the small cabins near the Merc. I am not sure electricity is run up to Polebridge; I do know other cabins in the North Fork are run on generators for electricity.

Passports are not required to cross the US border: driver's license and a birth certificate if you have one. I used my driver's license and an old expired passport when I crossed in early July. No problems.

When I was in East Glacier a few days ago I took a photo of the Circle R motel for you, and also the Dancing Bears motel. There were two other motels/lodges in addition to the big Park lodge. Didn't get photos of them (Brian was driving).

Send me your email id and I will send you the photos and descriptions of the lodges and locations (Circle R is right on Hwy 2).

I won't publish your reply comment in order to keep your email id private to the world.

I don't know exactly when you plan to come, but be aware the Sun road will be closed to traffic on the top part of the West side of the Pass starting Sept 17 for their road reconstruction. You can still access Logan Pass from the east side until winter closes the road, but you'll miss some great views unless they allow people to walk the road when not working on it.

September is a quieter time in the Park, but we still get a fair number of people who visit in the Fall to avoid the crowds.

September (Fall) is better than now as it is so hot now the sky is hazy and the mountain views are not sharp and clear. Brian plans to avoid July and August in future visits.

Ruby said...

Good Morning Montana!

Thanks for writing back. I check in here almost every day,you are part of my morning read.So there's never a hurry,I'll always be back tomorrow!

We're coming Sept.7,so we'll be able to see the full road, I am so relieved! We're going to take the red bus and also plan to drive it ourselves,too.

I noticed a sponsor at the Montana radio cafe,benton chalet,is privately owned. So, I got to thinking,is there some sort of big corporate deal over at the park? GPI or something?

I was glad to find an alternative to mule shoe outfitters for a horseback ride. Some blog said the horses are not too enthusiastic. I finally found a Blackfeet company on the east side,I forget the name,but I spoke to a nice woman on the phone the other day,who said I don't need a reservation that late in the year.

I am so excited to hear you met someone at the concert!Hope she's all she seems to be,and I am keeping my fingers crossed,you seem like a genuine find,now let's hope she realises what she's stumbled onto!(Oh,and let's hope she's a genuine find too!)

Thanks for the pictures,I am reading Hidden Montana(My God Your State is Large!)and getting dizzy trying to decide where to go,etc. Your help is greatly appreciated,it is one thing to read,it is another to ask questions!

Thank you,thank you,thank you!
Ruby

brideofaa@yahoo.com