Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Working on my petition

A busy day Tuesday with my petition about the subdivision and traffic issues. I didn't start talking to people until after 3:30 pm when some people would be coming home. I finished talking with people and returned home at 11:44 pm.

Everyone had traffic stories to tell me. Everyone has signed. Even the people who believe developers can develop their land how they see fit. (I had to do some talking with those people!) Some people asked me to come back later when their spouse got home so they also could sign. I spoke with everyone between the development and Rose Crossing except for three homes where the people weren't home. *whew*

People were giving me names of other people for me to talk to tomorrow.

Even though I got more people to contact, I am worried about getting time on Thursday to speak so I will try to attend the open comment period tomorrow to make sure I can speak. The open comment period is only 15 minutes each day. I can always bring more names on Thursday. I hope to get up early enough Wednesday morning so I can attend the open comment period as it is at 8:45 am.

I also met most all my neighbors for the first time and they seem like a good bunch of people. Very diverse. Newer people, and people who lived here 40 to 50 years. I got a little history about the road and how and why it was paved, although people aren't quite sure exactly what year that happened. One woman knew the people who owned my place many years ago. I plan to go back and talk with her to learn more of the history of my place. Another man's wife is in a nursing home and I listened as he talked about that, and some of his life history and the jobs he held over the years as he seemed to want to talk with someone. He is 79 years old. Another elderly woman was skeptical as she didn't know me. Her daughter and son-in-law lived next door and heard me talking and came over to investigate. I got all to sign. One couple were sitting having a beer or two and were fun to talk to as they were funny. The new couple in the house with all the apple trees said I can have the excess apples that fall to the ground this fall to feed to my cattle if I still have them then.

I am a little worn out talking (and talking) but it actually was fun.

No comments: