Thursday, July 27, 2006

Commissioners and petition

I woke up early enough to attend the County Commissioners 8:45 - 9 am open comment period today (Wednesday). I arrived a few minutes early and, other than the secretary, I was the only person there.

Two commissioners came into the room on time. We waited for the third commissioner. And waited. Finally he came. I started speaking at 8:50 am and spoke until after 9:05 am. I got the entire 15 minute time period.

So the commissioners understood the area I was speaking about I had made copies of an area map from a prior growth policy amendment change. It turns out the room had a map on the wall of this area. I used this map when speaking and pointing out the locations.

I had three pages of signatures on my traffic petition and I gave them to the commissioners. I spoke about my traffic and road concerns, and also about a number of concerns people told me.

I had a few minutes left so I also mentioned my ground water and septic system concerns as I have a hand dug shallow well. The one commissioner, Hall, said he trusted the Dept of Environmental Quality (DEQ) would ensure the water and septic systems met standards. As a few people later told me 'this is putting the cart before the horse.' The County should require DEQ approval prior to the subdivision request being submitted to the Planning Office and the Commissioners. The DEQ covers the entire state and they are understaffed and overworked.

After I returned home I checked my gopher and pocket gopher traps. After I checked my traps I picked yet more goat's beard seed pods. I heard a voice calling me and it was Linda and Emy. When gathering signatures the day before I met another couple with the same concerns about the aquifer. We drove over and I introduced everyone.

We discussed perc pipes testing the water level underground at the subdivision. We got the locations and Linda, Emy, and I wandered over to check a number of them out. We had a tape measure and measured the water depth we found in the several pipes, the mud depth in a few other pipes, and the depth of the pipes, subtracting the pipe length above the ground. It has been very dry since the first days of the month so I wasn't expecting any water.

When checking the last pipe a pickup drove by. Uh, oh? I later found out it was the neighbor and he was not part of the subdivision and was not in favor of it. I went with my petition and he signed it. He also filled me in on more of the backstory about this subdivision and the developer. He plans to attend the open comment period and meeting Thursday. We will travel together.

After eating a late lunch, I got more printed petition forms from Amy, then gathered signatures from spouses who weren't home the previous day, a few people I missed earlier, and visited people along Rose Crossing. Those people led me to other people sympathetic to my concerns.

After learning yet more backstory I returned to my road late and began to visit people across from the subdivision. I encountered my only refusal. He was an elderly man. To my surprise he wasn't concerned about increased traffic and the road. "I don't care. Development will happen anyway. You can't stop it. Live with it."

I explained the impacts, how I wasn't against development, but I wanted the infrastructure to support it. He didn't care.

I was starting to think he was not mentally all there due to his advanced age. Then he revealed he was the father of a developer trying to develop property across from the subdivision I am protesting. When he spoke of 'problems with the subdivision south of his house', I had assumed the problems were in fighting the proposal. It turns out he meant in getting it approved. I heard this subdivision has had problems getting DEQ approval.

He then mentioned he didn't like my small pile of rocks at the edge of my driveway next to the road (which I removed several days ago). He felt they were a hazard and would cause an accident. Oh, really? I let him know that I removed the rocks several days ago, and that they wouldn't be a problem if people would drive on the road. "Oh, I suppose you're right."

I decided to turn his negative energy back at him. I then let him know he was the only person not to sign my petition, and since he didn't care about the traffic and road that I would be going. I left.

I then spoke to the negative man's next door neighbors. Even though this young couple lived across from the proposed development they hadn't heard about it. They were receptive and signed my petition. They were the last people I spoke with as it was dark outside now.

So tomorrow (Thursday) I plan to attend the commissioners' meeting and turn these names in. Wish me luck!

No comments: