Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Talking with a pretty girl

Yesterday I talked with a pretty girl. Even though she actually is a woman, "Pretty Woman" congures up the movie. So I use 'pretty girl' as I don't like the movie, and because the woman I spoke with was not a hooker. And since she was well younger than me I feel I can use the phrase girl.

I was in the automotive section of Walmart - not a place one thinks of finding a pretty girl. She works there. I was looking for a wiring kit for my pickup when she came through the aisle with a hand held scanner to scan the items and enter their quantity out on the shelf.

I stepped back to give her room and she said I didn't have to move. With a laugh she said if she needed to get to an item she would push me aside. She also clued me in to a small booklet with more info on the wiring harnesses.

I intially wasn't paying attention to her as I was in my typical shopping mode: get in, find it, buy it, leave as quickly as possible. But since she spoke to me, and seemed approachable, I asked what she was doing with the scanner. Earlier as she moved down the aisle I had just heard its beep as it scanned and I missed her entering the quantity in the keypad. This led to a conversation where she explained this was her aisle of responsibility. The scanner made it nice so she didn't have to mentally remember how many items she needed to restock - although she said she could remember. I told her I could never remember as one distraction and I lose track of counts. She said sometimes her kids caused her to loose track. Wow - I didn't think was old enough to have kids - much less two of them. I didn't tell her that though! I wasn't sure how old she was but intially I thought around 20. By the end of our conversation maybe late 20s?

Somehow our conversation got to the weather and winter. She was originally a California girl, although she had also lived in New Mexico and Maryland) and felt Montana winters were cold. I told her it was all relative as I orginally came from North Dakota.

I don't know how it entered into the conversation but she mentioned visiting Europe. Some guy she knew was going and she decided to go with. Maybe it was connected to our talk on the weather. Europe! Well... I was curious and asked her where she visited (London, Paris, and a small town in Holland). As I have visited London and Paris I had lots of questions on what she saw there and her impressions.

Eventually I asked why she moved to Montana. A year or so she moved here as she plans to go riding in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Move to Montana to visit the "Bob"? One can visit Montana and visit the "Bob". And for horses she said. Something about liking/having/training horses. I told her that when one is young, now is the time to do stuff like this before one gets settled. She claimed she wasn't that young - and I wasn't brave enough to ask her further what her age was. She thought she should be thinking of settling down soon.

I was impressed by her uprooting her life to follow her dream on what she wanted to do. Oh.. when I was younger! Moving and living somewhere new is a young person's activity even though most young people don't do that. She got me thinking - albeit temporarily - of traveling somewhere just to do it. I say temporarily as I have traveled lots, so it doesn't have the same allure now to look at a map, or read of a place, and decide I have to visit it.

When talking about winter she mentioned she still has snow at her place - which was near Marion, MT. Another Walmart employee came by with a tube of Quicksteel and told her she should use it to fix her water pipes. Apparently a pipe to her horse's water tank froze and broke this past winter and she hasn't fixed it yet. "On her to-do list - which is getting longer and longer!" I explained how I used Quicksteel and found it more for temporary fixes on water pipes as a pipe's expansion and contraction over time will loosen the seal.

She had to get back to work. I had a great time talking with her and was happy she took the time to spend a few extra minutes talking. Especially as she was so beautiful. Beautiful and not stuck up. It was a beautiful day outside with the clear sunny skies and the snowcapped mountains. Our conversation and her beauty put me into a great mood. I think I had a smile on my face the rest of the day. It doesn't take much to make a man happy - a pretty girl and a smile and taking a few minutes to talk.

No comments: