Thursday, March 16, 2006

Red headed women

What's with me and my interest in red headed women lately? It wasn't always like this. When I was younger I gravitated to blondes or brunettes. I never have had a red headed girlfriend. But now red haired women catch my eye.

I always liked Susan Sarandon. Yes, she has red hair but I never really noticed that feature about her. I mainly remember Ms. Sarandon from her roles in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", "Atlantic City" and "White Palace", among her many memorable movies. I also like Julianne Moore. But again it was not because of her red hair; I liked many of the movie roles she has played.


And there is the actress Alysson Hannigan from the "American Pie" movies. I initally noticed her more for her "American Pie" movie character. Who wouldn't? Would she be appealing without her red hair? I think so. But her red hair really adds to her look.

Women with red hair are so noticeable to me now. When I really started to notice red haired women was after seeing the following photo of Tori Amos.

I have listened to Tori's music since the early 90s and knew her mainly by her music. But that changed when I recently read an article about her in a 1998 issue of Rolling Stone magazine.

One photo in the article was a closeup of her face that highlighted her pale skin and red hair. Captivating. I put that magazine page on my dining room wall. Looking online for a copy of that photo I found other interesting photos of her.


Lastly was the TV show, "Dancing with the Stars". Anna, one of the professional dancers, has red hair. She is originally from Russia, so I can say "Russian red hair". Other celebrities on the show were better dancers than her celebrity partner, Jerry Rice, but I kept hoping he wouldn't be eliminated each week so I could see Anna and him dance again.

Anna has a definite Russian personality that came through in her comments, and that made her interesting to watch. Anna seemed to be fun, fiesty, and not shy in speaking her opinions. I imagine it would be her way or the highway?


Still, that doesn't answer why I am now intrigued by red headed women? *shrug* Maybe I have grown up a little?

Is Bruce Springsteen right?
"Man, you ain't lived
Till you've had your tires rotated
By a redheaded woman."

No comments: