Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Health, metal, pruning, birds, seeds, and cattle

Spring has sprung. The weather is so nice (high temps in the upper 40s F) that I spend part of my time outside. So much for finishing my house's spring cleaning.

My finger, which had the nail through it, is doing amazingly well. It is healing nicely with no pain nor mess. It is healing better than when I get cuts on my hands. I think I will end up with a small round scar where the nail entered the finger. But it shouldn't be that noticable.

I spoke with my health care PPO, Interwest Health. Interwest Health said that while the Minot doctor who did my cataract surgery is a provider for Interwest Health, they are not with Interwest Health and Assurant. Huh? Interwest Health's web site says the doctor is with Interwest Health. They said a different insurance company is associated with my doctor and Interwest Health in North Dakota. Assurant and Interwest Health cover Montana. *sigh* Yes, Interwest Health agrees this is confusing. I spoke with the boss at Interwest Health and he agreed they would talk with Assurant Health about my situation. I am on my way to the post office to mail copies of my medical bills, etc. to Interwest Health. Cross your fingers!

I also found that I have no Interwest Health in-network vision care provider in the Flathead valley. Not sure where I will get the eyeglasses I need after my cataract surgery. Missoula is 120 miles away. *sigh*

The young neighbor couple to my south had quite a number of large metal/aluminum sheets they no longer wanted. Yesterday I loaded them into my pickup and brought them home. I don't have a need for them now, but I have storage room to keep them until I do find a need for them.

I cleaned the ditch along my property of cans and garbage people tossed over the winter. The next day more beer cans appeared.

It is too late to prune my fruit trees. With the snow and cold last December I wasn't able to do the next phase of my multi-year project to prune my apple trees. I checked the trees last week and found the buds are no longer hard. It may still be ok to prune, but after the year I pruned in the late spring and then got no apples that year, I don't want to chance it this year.

I put bird food out for the birds in the bush by my front window. It took a few days but the birds now have found the food. I enjoy sitting by the window, and during the TV's commercials, watching the colorful birds eat. One bird is black and white with a red rectangle at the back and top of its head.

Over winter when I was away no mice made it inside my house. I guess I my insulation and sealing project last fall made a difference. I did notice a squirrel bounding across my yard last week. I hope the squirrel is passing through and not staying around.

I bought the garden seeds I need for planting this year. It is far too early to plant outside but I have found the stores are on a "southern U.S." planting schedule. By the time one plants in Montana the big box stores are shipping their garden seeds back to their warehouse. I had to go to Shopko to find beet seeds. Beets are not that popular and most places don't carry their seeds.

I started some seeds in planters in the house. It is about 6-8 weeks before it is safe to plant outside, so time for some of the seeds to be started. I usually use dirt to start seeds but my mother gave me a bag of potting soil for Christmas.(Another thing I had to lug back on the train! ) She wants my starter seeds to do better - I think she is tired of my complaining each year on how they start so slowly and poorly. I used the whole bag on the plants I am starting early. I planted tomatos, cantalope (ever hopeful), pumpkin, bell pepper, broccoli and cabbage. I need to start more plants and will use dirt to start those seeds. That will be a good test in the difference potting soil makes over plain old dirt.

I spoke with Dan about pasturing cattle again this year. He plans on doing so. He mentioned it is getting harder to find calves to buy as people are getting out of raising cattle. For example his neighbor, Ed, had enough and sold his cattle, equipment, and land this winter. I knew he was frustrated last summer with equipment breakdowns as he wasn't able to cut my hay last summer. Guess he didn't get over it. With a regular job Ed didn't need the headache of a farm also.

I have lots of projects to do this spring and summer. First off I have to work on the corral fence. Work! Work! Work! Still I do take time each day to appreciate the snow covered mountains.

No comments: