Saturday, March 04, 2006

Poseidon Adventure

Can you believe it? I have never seen "The Poseidon Adventure" until yesterday. A remake is scheduled for this year so I thought I'd take the opportunity to watch the movie on tv yesterday.

I was surprised - the movie was better than I expected. Not that it is a fantastic movie, but it certainly is enjoyable.

The cast is a group of one-dimensional characters, and some are dated to the early 70s (Ted's long hair), but ya know, they weren't the present day stereotypical characters and that made the movie a little refreshing. I imagine that if I saw the movie back in 1972 I would have been rolling my eyes the whole time. It was enjoyable to watch them as they argued and struggled to escape the sinking ship.

It was funny to have Gene Hackman as the Reverend tell the women they had to take off the skirts of their New Year's gowns as they couldn't climb out while wearing them. But then he neglected to tell Stella Stevens to take off her high heels. Poor Stella had to go through the movie in high heels. Of course I'm not complaining. As a guy I enjoyed seeing all the women's legs... okay, not Shelly Winter's legs, but then the Reverend didn't tell her to take off her skirt. You can bet that in the remake there won't be anything similar to this.

No comments: