Thursday, March 30, 2006

Spring carrots

A few days ago (between our rain showers) I finally dug up the rest of my garden carrots. A little late. I should have done this at the beginning of March and not near the end.

The tops of many of the carrots were soft and mushy. Still quite a number of the carrots came out good. The longer the carrot (the farthest from the top wet topsoil) the better the carrot was. I only lost a little more than 1/3 of my carrots. This year it was the top 1/3 of the carrots instead of the year where the pocket gopher got into my garden and I lost the bottom 1/3 of many of my carrots. I am glad I planted lots and lots of carrots last year!

The carrots are good. They have color and moisture unlike the still-good but slowly-drying carrots I have stored in my crawl space from when I dug them last November/December.

Next winter I plan to leave many carrots in the ground again but this time I will protect them better. I will put some straw over them then put plastic or tarps to protect them from getting wet. It appears getting wet was the major reason they started spoiling this year.

No comments: