Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Salt feeder wired. Railroad ties.

Today I wired the salt feeder to the metal posts next to it.   This should hold the feeder in place when Haynes 'plays' with it.  I wired in place the salt feeder in the middle pasture last year, and so far it has held the feeder in place.



The tree the salt feeder sits under.



Then I looked out to the metal feeder in the north pasture.  Of course Haynes moved it again since last night.  Yesterday the feeder was west of and next to a band of trees near the river.  Today the feeder is east of the band of trees. Haynes got the feeder through the band of trees.  Is Haynes now trying to push the feeder to the corral?  He got the feeder hung up when he ended up pushing the feeder into the north and middle pasture fence.

Later I loaded some railroad ties and took them out to the middle and south pasture fence.  My goal is to put a gate in the fence closer to the river.  I also have a walk-though gate near the middle part of the fence.  Last year I left that gate open for a while so the cattle could walk back and forth between the south and middle pastures instead of them walking the river.   Well, Haynes.  This walk-though gate was old and the railroad tie I had used to hold the gate was old and weak.  Haynes push on the gate and tie and made it lean.  I straightened the railroad tie after I closed the gate, but I should replace it.

The ground is frozen now so I won't be putting the railroad ties in the ground now.  But it is nice to prepare and get ready for when I can put the ties in the ground in the Spring.  It is easier for me to get to a project if everything is ready.  Otherwise something can come up and a project gets delayed longer.

The boards are because I like to use two railroad ties and nail boards to them to make them a larger unit. This help stop the ties from leaning due to tension from the barb wire fence.  Two posts are better than one.

No comments: