Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Another bicycle pedal problem

I thought I fixed my bicycle pedal problem last week.  After I installed a newer pedal and rode a few miles, I thought the problem was solved.  Today the temperature got above freezing and the snow was off the roads so I went for a longer bicycle ride.  I was a little past Donna's place when I stopped to check my newer pedal as it felt wobbly.  I discovered the pedal was no longer screwed tight to the crank arm.  I went to Donna's place to borrow a wrench so I could tighten the pedal.

With the wrench I discovered I could not tighten the pedal.  The threads in the crank arm were somewhat stripped.  The previous pedal was in the crank arm so tight I had a lot of trouble to unscrew the pedal to remove it.  I wonder if that pedal messed up the threads somehow.  When installing the newer pedal it seemed screw in fine and be tight.  Or so I thought.

I tried glue on the pedal to see if that would hold the pedal in place long enough for me to ride home.  Nope.  I tried wrapping the pedal's threads with a piece of duct tape.  Maybe this will work.  I tried it.  I didn't get far and the tape came off.  The pedal would stay on the crank arm if I was careful when riding.  I made it home.

The crank arm's threads are stripped.  I looked in my odds-and-ends bicycle part pile and found an extra crank arm.   Which is amazing as this crank arm is the arm with the chain ring on it.  I was able to take off the bad crank arm - and that was a problem as it didn't want to come off the bicycle.   I installed the new crank arm and newer pedal.  I went for a mile-long ride and it seems to work.

The old crank arms are brownish colored and the newer crank arm is the typical silver color.   So my bicycle now has a brownish crank arm on one side and a silver crank arm on the other side.  Oh well.  At least it works now.



Riding from Donna's place with a loose pedal made the thread worse.  Even so, at Donna's place I knew I would have to replace the crank arm anyway.  So who cares if I made it worse, just let me make it home.


The newer crank arm.  I say 'newer' and not 'new' as this is an old part from a junked bicycle.

No comments: