Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Lots of snow

The weather forecast predicted 8 to 14 inches of snow from Wednesday through Thursday morning - and we got it.  Lots of snow when I woke up this morning and it snowed steadily non-stop all day.  I'm sure we got at least 8 inches of snow so far.

Today was a day to put out another large hay bale.  The good news was the temperature stayed above zero overnight and reached the teens in the afternoon.  No problems starting my tractor.  No problems using the tractor's loader as the hydraulic oil flowed.  I was able to lift the metal feeder up and move it over to where I placed the new hay bale.   First I shoveled a large circle as I don't care to place a hay bale on a half a foot or more of snow.

With all the snow I spent some time clearing parts of the driveway using my shovel.  My tractor can drive through the snow, but I don't like the hard packed snow where the tires had gone when I later shovel the driveway.  So I shoveled a path from where the tractor is stored in the backyard out to the NE pasture.  In the pastures I don't care in the tractor packs the snow down.

Then at 6 pm - Boom! - the wind took off.  In a matter of a couple minutes the wind went from 7 mph to 28 mph with gusts to 40 mph.  I checked the weather forecast and we now are under a blizzard warning until tomorrow morning.  This blizzard came almost out of nowhere.   Good thing the cattle has a few hours to eat hay before the blizzard arrived.

A few minutes ago I went outside and checked on the water trough.  I saw the cattle were now in the loafing shed and out of the wind.   The path in snow I had shoveled this afternoon is now mostly gone. Also, it is still snowing.

Winter.  Winter.  Winter.


The cattle this afternoon before I let them out of the corral to the hay bale.

Haynes the bull.   What? Is he now wearing long ear-rings?

This one stood outside much of the day.

No comments: