Sunday, January 21, 2024

Bicycle pedal, wind chime, suet

The last time I rode my bicycle before our recent Winter weather, one pedal on my bicycle froze up.  I had ridden 25 miles by then, and a mile from home the pedal froze.  I never had that happen before.  When I had a pedal problem on a very rare occasion, the pedal would be very loose as the bearings ground down or some would fall out.   This time the bearings stopped turning.  I made it home slowly by pedaling with one leg.

Once the cold retreated, in my odds-and-ends collection of bicycle parts, I found another pedal.  I put it on my bicycle.  Due to the snowy roads I only rode a few miles.  But the pedal works.


The strong winds we had did a number on things.  One of the old fiberglass panels on my patio blew off.   The bicycle cat blew apart.   This photo showed how the bicycle cat looked before.  The wind blew the cat and bird away.  No idea where.   The wheels were still here, but damaged.  I took the rest of the ornament inside the house.  Eventually I will fix it as I have an old damaged ornament with a cat still on it.



The chime I hang from my house entrance was blown apart.  Since the pieces are metal I found three of the 'cows' on the ground nearby.  I got them fixed and all put back together today.



The suet cage I hang by the front window was now near the ground.  The wire holding the suet cage in the air is attached to the TV antenna.  The wind must have shaken the antenna pole around and pulled the wire from where it was attached to the house to hold the suet cage in a particular spot.  Yesterday I got a ladder and a broom and swept some snow from the roof so I could go up and nail the wire back to the house.  I've had a few birds show up now that the suet is hanging again.  And the birds give Rascal something to look at and talk to.



Otherwise, the temperatures are warmer and getting closer to the freezing mark.  We still do get a little snow.  I shoveled an inch or so of snow off the driveway yet again today.

No comments: