Thursday, February 29, 2024

Strong wind on my bicycle ride

A cold front came through when I was on a bicycle ride.  I didn't know that a cold front was coming.  Last day of the month, and since I hadn't been riding much bicycle earlier this week and today's temperature was decent, I went for a bicycle ride.  The ride was going well.  So I decided to ride more miles and make my loop larger.  Then on the larger part of the loop I noticed dark blue ground-to-sky clouds to the west.  No matter which way I went, the distance home was about the same.  And I thought I would get home before the dark blue clouds reached me.  I was wrong.

I had south winds most of my ride.  But when I turned west the wind started to turn to the SW.  By the time I turned back south and had 5 miles left to ride the wind switched to the west.  The clouds had arrived and the wind picked up quickly and it started to rain.  Actually the rain went sideways and not down.  Within a half mile my left side was soaking wet.

In the 5 mile ride home I had a half mile turn to the west.  I struggled to ride 4 mph and stay upright riding west even though the wind was head-on.  Now the entire front of me got soaking wet.  Once I turned south the wind "lightened up" and changed to WSW.  I made it to Donna's place and took a break until the rain stopped and the wind lightened up some more.   I made it home and was very wet when I got there.

Another eventful 25 mile bicycle ride.

The time, temperature, wind, visibility distance, rain amount.

No comments: