Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Horse trailer, moving snow, and Rusty

Yesterday Donna's daughter and husband brought three of their horses over to Donna's place.  Good thing Donna and I rebuilt her fence last year before Winter came.  The daughter and husband's new place isn't fenced yet for the horses.

They needed a place to leave their horse trailer overnight before they returned to their current home today.  I said they could leave the trailer in my NE pasture.  The snow is not high but is dense and hard.  I shoveled a spot inside the NE pasture gate where he could back up and store the trailer.  But he thought he could drive through the snow in the pasture and turn around.  When turning around the trailer's tires no longer followed the pickup's broken snow path and had to also break snow. Too much hard snow to break and everything came to a stop.  I did some shoveling around all the tires to get him going again.  Still turning wasn't going to work so he made it to the tracks where I had driven the tractor to get the large hay bale earlier.  So I changed plans and had him drive to the north pasture and then back into and through the corral, and then had him park the trailer in the backyard.  That all worked.

They plan on bringing the rest of their hay in a day or two and will store it at Donna's for now.  So they don't get stuck in snow in Donna's yard, today I went down and with the tractor made a path back to the shed.  Then I moved the snow away in front of the shed so they can turn around and park to unload the hay bales.  I also moved a snow drift away from where the horse's water trough is located.   Even with the tractor's help it was hard to move a lot of the hard dense heavy snow and I spent a few hours doing so.

The path back.
.

Rusty wanted to ride in the tractor and spent much of the time helping move the snow away.  He was good and only a few times was in the way when I wanted to use the clutch pedal on the tractor.  Rusty likes to ride with 'grandpa'.


No comments: