Sunday, February 25, 2024

Little Red is dead. And another death.

This morning when I went out to give a small bale of hay to the cattle I found Little Red was dead.  Yesterday she was fine.  I have no idea why she died.  No signs of an injury. A very small amount of blood was in her nose.  The weather was decent, and the temperature overnight stayed above freezing.

Little Red was born in March 28, 2018.   She was almost 6 years old.  Too young to die.  I no longer have any red angus cattle as last Fall I had sold Little Red's mother at the livestock auction. I'll miss Little Red and am sad.



I used the tractor to half carry and half drag Little Red out to the SW corner of the south pasture.  I will let the circle of life take care of her body.  The past deer and calves I left there were soon gone.



This was the first time I have been to the south pasture this year.  As I took Little Red to the SW corner I noticed something on my south fence.  I found the remnants of a dead deer.  It must have gotten caught on the fence and died.  I don't think the south neighbors left it there.  As you can see there was not much left of the deer.  I took the rest of the deer off the fence.


So... lots of death at the ranch today.

No comments: