Monday, October 23, 2023

Turkeys, pear tree, electrical

The turkeys are around every day.



They have been eating the pears.  I've been doing other things and forgot to check on the fallen pears.  When I did a few days ago I only found a few of them on the ground.  None on the tree anymore.  And a few more on the ground that were partially eaten.

Here are photos of the pear tree today.  The colors are nice.


The last few days I've been trying to help my brother long distance away.  Saturday morning he found that an evergreen tree in the back yard was blown over after a 60 mph front passed through.  The tree fell on the power lines and pulled the power "pole" and box off the house and the power lines to the ground.  Surprisingly he had partial power.  He called the electric company, Xcel, at 9 am Saturday morning to tell them what had happened.  You'd think Xcel would come out to fix the problem and make things safe within a few hours.  But Xcel acted like the Hawaiin electric companies and didn't do anything.   Finally this morning, Monday morning - two days later - they came.   They said they weren't responsible for the power "pole" and box, and that my brother would have to hire an electrician to get it fixed and reattached to the house.  You'd think Xcel would be responsible up to the electric meter.   But Xcel wouldn't do anything.   My brother had to hire an electrician.  The electrician worked on it and the work should finally be finished tomorrow morning.

I don't have a photo of my brother's house.  But to show what I am talking about, here is a photo of a similar power "pole" and box on my house.  If your electric company says they are responsible up to the electric meter, don't believe them.


The weather forecast has Winter coming and starting tomorrow.  Cold and snow.  High temperatures maybe a degree or two above freezing the rest of the week.  So the last few days I have been dodging the scattered rain showers and have been trying to get outside stuff to a decent "stop point" for now, or for a long time, or until Spring?  I have all the tree branches cleaned up and the parts of the lawn raked to clean the leaves from where I usually shovel the snow.  And got some metal sheets placed over the holes in the patio roof from the fallen tree branches.  I'm not ready for Winter.

No comments: