Monday, October 02, 2023

Hawthorn fairies tried again

This afternoon I went and fixed the fence on the 'thumb'.  The fairies tried to get my pliers yet again early on, but I found the pliers in the tall grass after a minute or so of looking.  Again, I then had to pay attention to where my pliers were during the rest of my fence work.



The grass here is tall.  It grows up on the lower lines of barb wire, and then dies often falling over the wires.  The grass then tries to drag the barb wire to the ground.  I only come out here maybe once a year.  So the tall grass along the fence doesn't get cleared often.

You can see the green metal fence post in the upper right corner of the photo, but not the lower barb wire lines getting drug down under all the grass.  I cleared lots of grass from the fence wires and pulled up the bottom two barb wire lines for a portion of the fence.


While walking on the neighbor's property to get to the thumb I found the remains of a deer.  Not that long ago that it was killed as some hair was still on some bones, and it smelled.  The bones were in two or three spots away from each other.  Coyotes did it most likely.  Or a bear did it?  Most likely coyotes, as a week or so ago I heard a lot of howling and yipping one evening from this direction.

This fence work is now done.  Later I turned the middle pasture salt feeder upright again.  This time I went and got my sledgehammer to pound into the ground one of the metal posts standing next to the feeder. Maybe this will stop Haynes from tipping the salt feeder.  I still have part of the bloat block. So the cattle are licking it slower.

The middle to south pasture gate is nearby the salt feeder.  I leave the gate open now the pastures are eaten down, and the cattle can walk the river if they want to go from one pasture to another.  This afternoon I found the gate partially off one of the two hinges.  Another new job to fix.  Haynes!

No comments: