Sunday, October 29, 2023

Driveway fence rebuild

October 10th I started the rebuild of the driveway fence.

This is what the fence looked like in 2021 when I last worked on the rebuild.  At the far end you can see the two rebuilt sections before the freeze and snow ended the work for the year.


Here are two blog posts about the rebuild back in 2021.   You can read about the work involved to mount the rails.



I almost got the fence rebuild done to the driveway corner this year.  Then the snow and cold arrived earlier this week.

Here you can see the two rebuilt sections from 2021.

At the start and then at the end.



Here are my rails back in 2021.  They should be all the same length but are not.  I measured lengths from 189 to 193 inches.  Mainly 190 or 191 inches.


When I put rails on the posts this year I had to look for similar lengths.  Even so I had to trim some posts once in a while to match the same length.


The old fence posts were either rotted and had to be replaced.  Or the posts that were good had to be moved as they never were in the right spot.  Sometimes they were only an inch of two from the right spot as seen below.


Then, as I got near the corner I had to remove concrete pieces.  Back when I had a garden in this location I laid down these concrete pieces to act as a walkway so I wouldn't get dirty/muddy walking next to the garden.  And to eliminate grass so I didn't have to mow it here.   It has been years since I had the garden.  Over the years the grass started two grow between the concrete pieces.


You can see how the grass tried to get around the concrete pieces.


Back then I had laid down matting to stop the grass from growing.  The matting has started to break down.  The grass is tough.



The concrete pieces loaded into the pickup.  The pieces are heavy.


I had 10 rail sections from the road to the corner.  Two sections were built in 2021.  I got 7 more sections built before the snow came.  I have one section left to build to reach the corner. It usually takes me a day to rebuild a fence section.  We are a little above freezing now.  But still have some snow.  If the weather forecast is right I may have a chance to do a little more fence rebuild next week.

No comments: