Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Irrigation stuff

This morning I noticed less irrigation water pressure.  I checked the gauge, and it was down to 50 lbs.   I went into the river and checked the intake screen.  Some waterweed material covered the screen.  This time I was able to pull and 'scrape' the weed material off the screen and I didn't have to shut down the pump.  My pressure went back to 62 lbs.

Due to our warm temperatures I try not to do stuff outside in the afternoon.   So today instead of going back to sleep in the morning after moving the irrigation pipes, I did stuff outside.  It is getting too late to spray herbicide on the yarrow weeds as they have formed their seed heads, so I am pulling them.  I have more to pull.

In the afternoon I went to sleep.  I slept from 4 pm to 7 pm.  At 4 pm my irrigation was going.  At 7 pm it was not.  Our high temperature today was 93 degrees and most of the afternoon was in the 90s.  My irrigation pump is in a shed.  The shed has some openings in the walls, and I try to keep the door open to help keep the temperature down.  I let the cattle into the south pasture yesterday so I have a few items in the doorway to prevent the cattle from going into the shed.   When it gets too hot the pump will shut down.  That is what it did.

I don't know when this happened.  The grass was dry.  The pump was still very very warm.  I moved the irrigation pipes.  The pump was cooler when I re-started it.   I'll see what the next few days bring as our predicted high each day is 93 or 94 degrees.

The mosquitos are still really bad.  Even though the temperature is in the 80s and 90s I have to wear a flannel shirt when out in the hayfield and pasture to keep my back from being bitten.  I have to put insect repellant on 100% of my body to keep the mosquitos from eating me alive, and I can't spray 100% of my back.

No comments: