Sunday, July 17, 2022

Cattle jailbreak

I was woken up early (for me!) at 8 am by the sound of the cattle mooing out in the south pasture.  I had to get up and look out the window to see why they were mooing.  I had to get binoculars to see a cow and a calf in the middle pasture.   The other cows were standing at the south and middle pasture fence and mooing as they wanted to be where the other cow and calf were.

Ok.  No danger.  I can go back to sleep.  Later I will go out and 'fix' the problem.  That lasted until 9 am when Donna called me to tell me that Walmart has finally gotten the 30 lb. bags of Meow Mix cat food.  Since I was up again I went outside to check on the cattle.   They had stopped mooing and were laying in the shade in the NE corner of the south pasture.

When I walked out there I then noticed some cattle laying in the shade in the SE corner of the middle pasture.  Several cows and three calves.  I opened the gate and herded them back into the south pasture to be with the other cattle.

Then I walked the fence.  The river level is dropping but I still think it is too high for the cattle to walk upstream to get to the middle pasture, especially the calves.  I checked the fence.   Nothing broken, no problems.  So, did the cows and calves walk upstream?  How did the cows and calves get into the middle pasture?  Who knows!

Cows and calves in the middle pasture.


This is the calf 11.  He still insists on rubbing his head against my legs.



Calves in the south pasture.  They are growing big.



Lightning Picasso.



Here is the river the cattle would have had to walk up to cross pastures.  The river is deeper than it looks. The geese are relaxing in the sun on the bank.


Once I was done with the cattle I went to Walmart to get the 30 lb. bag of cat food for Rascal. While there my neighbor Ty saw me. I then asked Ty for help. Earlier I had asked my neighbor Curtis for help.  But he said it was his Sabath and he wanted to practice his religion.  My neighbor Jan had called me late yesterday and told me a dead deer was laying in her yard along the road. Someone must have hit the buck and killed it. It was starting to bloat.  Jan wanted me to do something about the deer.   I decided to haul it out to one of my pastures.  That way the scavengers will eat it up and take care of it.   Along the road they tend to not take care of dead carcasses.  Too much traffic goes by.  I got Ty to help me lift the deer into my pickup so I could haul it away.  After my skull fracture most of my sense of smell is gone.  But not completely.  I could smell the dead deer.  Not as much as Ty did, but I still could smell it somewhat.

And more happened today.  More on that in the next post.

No comments: