Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Cattle into the south pasture

I mentioned in the previous post how I finished the tree stump removal in the south pasture.    After I did so, I then opened the gate to let the cattle come into the pasture.

The gate is opened to the south pasture.   You can see the grass is very tall.  The previous day Donna walked through this area and only her head and shoulders were above the grass.  I didn't have my camera with me otherwise I would have taken a photo of her in the grass.



The cattle saw me open the south / middle pasture gate and they came to the north /middle pasture gate and waited for me.



Speckles and Little Red


I opened the north / middle pasture gate and the cattle are coming through it.


Mama

Here are some of the calves.  The smallest calf is calf 13, the last one born.  You can see how the other calves have grown since they were born.



Two of the replacement heifers just wanted to eat in the middle pasture and not follow the other cattle over to the south pasture.  I encouraged them to move along.



Finally into the south pasture.



I had trapped all the pocket gophers in the south pasture before I plan to let the cattle into that pasture. Of course the day I filled the dirt back into the tree stump hole I happened to find two pocket gopher dirt mounds. One in an area of tall grass where I could have missed the mounds earlier. The second dirt mound was in an area where I earlier trapped a pocket gopher. Apparently a pocket gopher realized that area was now free and it could move into it. Since the cattle like to knock over my milk jug and pole markers, and sometimes step on and break the trap, I will wait for a while. I have pocket gophers to trap in the hayfield as some moved in after I trapped the others earlier this Spring. I am up to 25 pocket gophers trapped so far this year.

No comments: