Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wind and Trees

We had a strong weather front come through today.  Rain overnight.  Warmer temperatures.  Then this morning the wind picked up.  It was windy when I fed the cattle hay this morning at 8 am.  By 11 am the wind really picked up.  The weather service had wind gusts to 45 mph.  A newspaper story said winds of 101 mph was tracked on Mt. Aenaes, a nearby mountain.  On Hornet Mountain in the mountain range north of Flathead Valley they had a gust of 96 mph.

The wind started to slow down during the afternoon.  I went out to check my mail and had to pick up a few tree branches.  One branch was on my barb wire fence.  A larger branch was on the opposite side of the road.  Those branches came off my evergreen trees.  Fortunately they missed the power lines leading from the road to my house.  It was good that this year I had the electric company trim some of the tree branches.   Further down the road I could see branches along the road that came off neighbor's trees.

When I went out to feed the cattle before dark there were a lot of tree branches in the north pasture.  I had a little under a half a pickup load of branches from the front yard, and once I got the north pasture branches the pickup was now full and heaped high.

One tall evergreen tree snapped off near the ground and blew over in the north pasture.  I could see one tall evergreen tree had snapped off and blown over in the middle pasture.  Tomorrow I may walk around and see if any more trees in the middle pasture blew over, or if any blew over in the south pasture.

What a mess.

No comments: