Sunday, January 31, 2021

Calf 1 day 2

 Last night after 11 pm I checked on the baby calf.  She and her mother were standing away from the straw and near the old broken red feeder.  The calf looked to be fine.  And not cold.  I thought about letting them stand there but then remembered calves will go and go until they are tired, then they will lay down to sleep wherever they are.  The sky was clear of clouds and would get colder and I wanted the calf back under shelter and in the straw.

So I "walked" (pushed her rear end to make her walk) the calf back to the straw.  The mother wasn't happy I was pushing her calf but they both went back to the straw.  When I checked at 2 am they were both laying in the straw.  This was good as the temperature got down to 17 degrees overnight, colder than the predicted low of 23 degrees.

At 8 am they were laying in the straw.  At noon they were laying along the fence in the snow.  By now the temperature was warmer so I left them alone.

Donna came over after 4 pm to help me ear tag the calf.  Donna holds the calf's head still while I straddle the calf and tag the ear.  It makes the process much easier and better.

Later the calf was laying in the snow next to west fence.  I let her be.  Later I looked and the calf was now laying in the noon spot next to the fence.  The sun had set so I got the calf up and walked her back to the straw.  The mother who was eating hay came over to see what I was doing with her calf.

Later I'll end up checking that the calf stays in the straw overnight.

Red feeder

Noon nap time along the fence

Newly ear tagged.

No comments: