Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Corral fence break by Toby the bull

Late yesterday afternoon when I put out hay for the cattle then Toby the bull, I noticed that a number of boards were off the corral fence.  What? I built that corral fence to keep the animals in the corral.  While the bull can pretty much do what he wants to do, unfortunately at times, why would Toby want to get out of the corral to the hayfield now?  The ground is covered in snow.  It's not like there is good grass to eat there right now.

After I gave Toby more hay I put the boards back up on the fence.  Toby had broken and completely removed a '2 section' board.  In one section he also completely removed the two boards above that.  The bottom two boards were still on the fence so that may be why he was still in the corral.  I am a little surprised he removed the top board as it is a bit high.

As it was getting dark it was a quick fix.  For the last couple of boards it was getting hard to see the nails to pound them into the railroad tie to attach the board.

I moved the red feeder to be in front of this section as I know how Toby acts once he realizes he can do something.  He does it again.  So I was glad I hadn't gotten rid of the broken down, useless, red feeder.

This morning I saw Toby laying next to the red feeder.  The long board was again broken, and this time only partially removed.  The red feeder must have slowed Toby down.



So I quickly re-nailed the board back to the railroad ties. I planned later to place some wire to the boards.  This was some leftover wire I had placed on the fence rebuilds I did last Summer.  For now I bungie corded the wire to cover this area.  Once I got to the afternoon I had time to fix the fence right.


I had a little of the wire fencing left so I placed it on another section of fence.


I'll see how Toby acts now.  There are other fence sections with no wire.  If he decides to work on those sections I will have to place wire on those sections sooner than later.


Toby seems to have recovered from having his bad back leg. I don't see him limping anymore.  He moves slow at times, but that may be because of the snowy/icy hard ground.  Still, for a little while longer I plan to keep him in the corral so he doesn't have to walk too much.

No comments: