Thursday, January 14, 2021

Bad fall

This morning I fed the cattle some small hay bales from the barn.  During Winter I place a few boards on the floor by the barn door.  That is to stop snow from blowing under the barn door and into the barn when it snows and blows.  I had to step over the boards.  After putting out the bales I swept the floor to clean the loose hay off it.  I then picked up the swept hay and carried it outside to put in a feeder for the cattle, who were still waiting outside the corral.  Somehow I stepped on part of the boards and fell.  And I fell hard and fast.  Before I knew what was happening I hit the ground.  The hard ground.

My right arm, mainly forearm, and my right calf took the impact.  The forearm went against my right chest.  So all of these are sore.  Even now.  I didn't take my shirt off yet but I'm sure I'm black and blue.  Nothing broke. 

Fortunately I didn't hit my head.  Otherwise, after my previous head injury, it could have been all over for me.  Once a while, even recently, if I lay my head a certain way, even if my head is laying on pillow, my skull can feel.. I don't know exactly, but pressure or an odd feeling until I reposition my head.

When riding my bicycle I now wear a bicycle helmet more often than not.  But I am more safe riding my bicycle - well, except for idiot drivers.  I may have better balance on my bicycle than walking.  Since the head injury accident I've had accidents off the bicycle than on the bicycle.  I probably should wear my bicycle helmet when off the bicycle rather than when on the bicycle.

A sunny and calm day.  I rode 31 miles this afternoon.  No problem.  I didn't feel sore when riding.  But otherwise, I'm sore from this morning's fall.

In the afternoon I put out a large hay bale for the cattle to eat.  They can pig out for a couple days and I don't have to feed them twice a day.

No comments: