Friday, January 22, 2021

Some cutting on a north pasture fallen tree

Earlier I had mentioned about the wind blowing over a few trees in the pastures.  I still haven't walked all the pastures to see if more trees fell over.  But for the tree that fell over in the north pasture I've noticed that since the tree fell the cattle were eating the needles off the tree, as this is the only pasture the cattle can be in right now.  This is not good as pine tree needles can be harmful to cattle and may cause them to abort their calves. Pondarosa pine and lodgepole pine trees are mentioned.  The trees that blew over were spruce trees.  I don't know if they are white spruce, black spruce or Engelmann spruce trees.  Spruce appears not to be as acidic as pine trees but they still do have some acid in their needles.

I've have to keep an eye on the cows.  Abortions usually occur within 6 to 10 days.  Or a cow can have a stillborn calf.

The cattle have all the hay they want to eat, so why would they want to also eat needles from trees?

Over the past few years I trimmed the tree branches to be higher up so the cattle can only reach a few lower branches here and there.  But now I seem to have to get right on it when a tree falls over.

Yesterday and today, for the tree that fell over in the north pasture, I cut part of the tree up.   But almost all of the tree's needles have already been eaten.  I cut the branches off the tree and was able to cut over half the trunk using a handsaw.  Knowing what I know now about the tree needles, I would have cut the branches off right away.



From the previous photo you can see how the top of the tree split into three sections.  In the photo below are two of the three sections.



No comments: